Manager, Database Engineering (SQL/Azure)
Must be local to Oakbrook Terrace, IL and be willing to go onsite at least one day a week.
Strong technical background with SQL Database Administration and Azure Cloud.
The Manager, Database Engineering is a hybrid role requiring technical and managerial skillsets. The Manager, Database Engineering develops the multi-year strategic plan and executes accordingly. The Manager, Database Engineering works closely with security, application development, architecture, and infrastructure teams to deliver high quality, high reliability solutions. The Manager, Database Engineering has strong project management, troubleshooting, and communications skills. The Manager, Database Engineering manages the database engineering team, assigning work, setting goals, and completing employee appraisals. The Manager, Database Engineering brings new ideas with a cloud-first approach to continue the company’s digital transformation.
Lead a team of 4 – 6 internal DBA’s.
Allocate work and manage resources.
Work with a managed service provider(MSP) to offload operational activities to that team
Manage data storage on Azure Data Lake.
Own the data replication from SQL MI servers -> Azure Data Packer -> Azure Lake.
Participate in DR strategy and also work with Networking, Security and Architecture teams to design and manage recovery.
Manage monthly data refreshes from PROD to LOWER environments.
Report the PROD server availability.
Access control to PLD\PHI\PII data
Manage document storage on BLOB storage
- Delivers operational excellence with measurable outcomes.
- Drives new ideas and challenges the status quo.
- Supports, encourages, enables, and inspires the database engineering (DBE) team.
- Provides all aspects of management for the DBE team, including task and project assignments, resource management, and appraisals.
- Develops, maintains, and executes the three-year strategic plan for the DBE team.
- Develops and manages project plans that often span teams throughout IT, delivering projects on time and on budget with key measures of success clearly demonstrated.
- Lends support to various business and technology teams as necessary during design, development and delivery to ensure solid, scalable, robust solutions.
- Holds the database engineering team accountable for the availability and integrity of development, user acceptance testing, and production environments.
- Develops the enterprise data model.
- Flexible to adapt to changing requirements and duties as needed.
- Performs other duties as requested by the team and business.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in database engineering.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing a team, including appraisals.
- Minimum BS degree in computer science or equivalent educational background.
- Microsoft certifications preferred.
- Green Belt certification preferred.
- Project management certifications preferred.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experience managing complex, hybrid solutions.
- Proficient with Microsoft solutions.
- Uses Lean / Six Sigma to improve reliability and eliminate waste.
- Proficient in data security design and implementation.
- Proven ability to recover from disaster.
- Design and maintain monitoring techniques to improve performance and availability.
- Proven record of using automation techniques to reduce manual effort and errors.
- Complete knowledge of the enterprise relational model.
- Knowledge of a scripting language, preferably PowerShell, Python or JSON.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities.
After you have applied, download our Staffmark Group WorkNOW App to receive real-time job offers and apply for additional opportunities. You can download it from the App Store or get it on Google Play.
About Advantage Technical
With company roots going back over 30 years, Advantage Technical is an engineering and information technology services company and a national leader in the provision of technical resources today. These services include Staff Augmentation, Direct Placement, Project Resourcing and Outsourcing – delivered from 40 key market locations, by over 3500 specialized contractors, to over 500 clients across North America. Advantage Technical is a Best of Staffing Diamond Award winner for both Clients and Talent. For more information about the industries and services offered by Advantage Technical, please visit AdvantageTechnical.com.
Advantage Technical is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, mental and physical disability, political affiliation, union membership, status as a parent, military or veteran status or other non-merit based factors. We will provide reasonable accommodations throughout the application, interviewing and employment process. If you require a reasonable accommodation, contact us. Advantage Technical is an E-Verify employer. This policy is applicable to all phases of the employment relationship, including hiring, transfers, promotions, training, terminations, working conditions, compensation, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.
All employees are directed to familiarize themselves with this policy and to act in accordance with it. All decisions with respect to employment matters and other phases of employer-temporary employee relationships will be in keeping with this policy and in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.